In 2011, the Hampton Roads Diversity & Inclusion Consortium (known formerly as the Regional Roundtable) was created to provide organizations with opportunities to share ideas, resources and lessons learned in our continued efforts to embrace diversity and build inclusive workplaces where diversity of thought and perspective becomes second nature and deeply ingrained in how we do business.
2017 HRDIC Conference Workshops
Diversifying the Leadership Pipeline – TBD
Description: As the demographics of our communities continue to change, it is critical for workplaces to be intentional about ensuring diversity among its leadership. Building a pipeline requires planning, networking, mentoring, and evaluation. This session will spotlight best practices and examples to help organizations design and implement plans to diversify their leadership.
- Understand how diversity in leadership benefits workplaces
- Consider practices and policies that ensure equal opportunity for all employees
- Learn ways to match employee talents and skills with the best career path
- Spotlight organizations that have effectively implemented best practices
- Explore strategies related to networking and mentoring to diversify the leadership pipeline
- Identify ways to overcome barriers to increasing diversity among leadership
LGBTQ Student Voices: The Challenges of Inclusion - Victoria Sachar-Milosevich
Description: Members of Virginia Beach City Public Schools Gay Straight Alliances (GSAs) will share perspectives from students’ points of view. Learn about current and emerging challenges and successes from students leading efforts to make their schools more inclusive.
- Hear student experiences, hopes, and concerns
- Build awareness about GSAs and how they are helpful to students in local schools
- Learn about challenges facing LGBTQ youth
- Identify opportunities to create more inclusive schools and organizations
Disabilities in the Workplace - Eggleston
Description: In this workshop, participants will learn best practices in including people with disabilities in the workforce and with using organizations who employ people with disabilities. They will learn about the different resources and about the organizations who support this community.
- Identify organizations who offer services
- Learn about best practices to promote the training, hiring, or retention of persons with disabilities and to enhance their productivity
- Best practices for being an ally for people with disabilities in the workplace
- Learn how your organization can tap into community resources
Equity in Education: Building Diversity and Inclusion Programs - Jobynia Caldwell
Description: Equity programs in schools are essential for student success. This session will discuss how educators face the challenges of diversity and inclusion in their classrooms and respond to student needs. A comprehensive approach including student programs, educator professional development, and district policies around race, class, gender, religion, and many other facets of diversity will be spotlighted.
- Learn about initiatives that promote equity and inclusion in schools
- Explore cultural competency trainings that have proven success
- Understand how equity councils and other structures support community involvement
- Consider how successful schools build a stronger workforce
Women in Leadership: Public and Private Sector – Tiffany M. Russell
Description: While great progress has been made, there are still many barriers and challenges that exist for women in positions of leadership. Through open and honest dialogue, this session will explore the unique experiences of women navigating the workplace and ways that organizations can embrace women in positions of leadership.
- Identify ways to develop and retain women in executive leadership roles
- Consider the unique challenges that persist for women in the workplace
- Spotlight organizations that have successfully embraced women in positions of leadership
- Compare and contrast experiences across workplaces and industries
- Virginia Beach Convention Center
- Victoria Sachar Milosevich, Jobynia Caldwell, Tiffany M. Russell, and Eggleston